The use of the iPad in a one to one environment provides an opportunity to enhance each students overall learning experience. Utilising the iPads at Elphin Community College gives students the access to learn anywhere, anytime – both in classrooms and at home. This one to one personalised learning also narrows the digital divide between students and promotes responsible use of today’s ever changing technologies. The current mobile devices acceptable for use under this initiative must have minimum specifications as follows:
Device Type: iPad Air 2 or later
Display: 9.7-inch (diagonal)
Capacity: 32GB minimum
Network Connection: Wi-Fi enabled without cellular connection.
Elphin Community College reserves the right to confiscate and search a student’s iPad to ensure compliance with the Acceptable Use Policy. Students in breach of the Acceptable Use Policy may be subject to but not limited to; disciplinary action, overnight confiscation, removal of content or referral to external agencies in the event of illegal activity. In the event of any disciplinary action, completion of all class work remains the responsibility of the student. Elphin Community College is not responsible for the financial loss of any personal files that are deleted.
- Students must use protective covers/cases for their iPads.
- The iPad screen is made of glass and therefore is subject to cracking and breaking ifmisused. Never drop nor place heavy objects (books, laptops, etc.) on top of the iPad.
- Only a soft cloth or approved laptop screen cleaning solution is to be used to clean the iPad’s screen.
- Do not subject the iPad to extreme heat or cold (do not store in vehicles).
Safeguarding and Maintaining as an Academic Tool
- Each iPad device must be enrolled on the school MDM (Mobile Device Management) system and are subject to restrictions being placed on the device as the school decides.
- iPad batteries are required to be charged overnight and be ready to used in school. Charging at school is prohibited.
- If an iPad is left at home or is not charged, the student remains responsible for completing all coursework as if they had use of their iPad.
- Malfunctions or technical issues are not acceptable excuses for failing to complete school work, unless no other means of completion exist.
- Syncing the iPad to iTunes or iCloud should be done weekly. Doing so will safeguard files, documents, and apps.
- Items deleted from the iPad cannot be ‘undeleted’, so backing up your work is very important.
- Memory space is limited. Academic content takes precedence over personal files and apps.
- The whereabouts of the iPad should be known at all times. It is a student’s responsibility to keep their iPad safe and secure. iPads belonging to other students are not to be tampered with in any manner.
- If an iPad is found unattended, it should be given to the nearest member of staff.Lost, Damaged or Stolen iPadIf the iPad is lost, stolen, or damaged, the school must be notified immediately. iPads that are believed to be stolen can be tracked through iCloud, which the student is required to enroll in upon receiving the iPad.
The iPad is subject to routine monitoring by teachers, administrators, and the technology staff. Elphin Community College will periodically monitor iPad wireless activity.
Prohibited Uses Include:
- Accessing Inappropriate Materials – All material on the iPad must adhere to Network Acceptable Use Policy. Students are not allow to send, access, upload, download, or distribute offensive, threatening, pornographic, obscene, or sexually explicit materials.
- Illegal Activities – Use of the school’s internet/E-mail accounts for financial or commercial gain or for any illegal activity.
- Violating Copyrights – Students are allowed to have music and install apps on their iPad’s, however the items downloaded and synced to the iPad must be in compliance with copyright laws.
- Cameras – Students must use good judgment when using the camera. The student agrees that the camera will not be used to take inappropriate, illicit or sexually explicit photographs or videos, nor will it be used to embarrass anyone in any way. Any use of camera in toilets or changing rooms, regardless of intent, will be treated as a serious violation.
- Inappropriate use of the iPad in class is prohibited, e.g. playing games, shopping websites, watching movies etc.
- Use of the camera and microphone are strictly prohibited in the classroom and school grounds unless permission is granted by a teacher.
- Misuse of Passwords, Codes or other unauthorised Access: Students are encouraged to set a passcode on their iPad to prevent other students from misusing it. Any student caught trying to gain access to another student’s accounts, files or data will be subject to disciplinary action.
- Malicious Use/Vandalism – Any attempt to destroy hardware, software or data.
- Jailbreaking – Jailbreaking is the process of which removes any limitations placed on the iPad by Apple. Once Jailbroken, users are able to download additional applications, extensions and themes that are not otherwise available. Jailbreaking results in a less secure device and is strictly prohibited.
- Students must not use their iPads outside of School buildings or on their journeys to and from school. Acceptable areas to use the iPad in School include classrooms and main hall.
- Inappropriate media may not be used as a screensaver or background photo. Presence of pornographic materials, inappropriate language, alcohol, drug or gang related symbols or pictures will result in disciplinary actions.
- Parents/Carers are responsible for the setting up and use of any home internet connections and no support will be provided for this by the school.
- This policy will be subject to review and change by senior school staff.
Student Pledge for iPad Use
- I will take good care of my iPad.
- I will never leave the iPad unattended.
- I will never loan out my iPad to other individuals.
- I will know where my iPad is at all times.
- I will charge my iPad’s battery every night
- I will keep food and beverages away from my iPad since they may cause damage to the device.
- I will not disassemble any part of my iPad or attempt any repairs.
- I will protect my iPad by only carrying it whilst it is in a case.
- I will use my iPad in ways that are appropriate, meet Elphin Community College expectations and are educational.
- I understand that my iPad is subject to inspection at any time without notice.
- I will file a police report and produce a crime number in the case of theft, vandalism,and other acts covered by insurance.
- I will be responsible for all damage or loss caused by neglect or abuse.