Please ensure that
- All documentation requested has been submitted.
- Application for Enrolment has included up to date phone numbers & email address.
- P.S. Number is included on application (can be obtained from Dept of Social & Family Affairs local office) Tel No: 090/6630930
- Acceptance of Code of Behaviour is signed and returned to school. Note that new and reviewed policies are available on the school website elphincollege.ie
- Birth Certificate is presented.
The school will open for 1stYears only on Tuesday 28thAugust 2018at 9.00amfor a half-day. Classes will end at 1.15pm. Students will meet their teachers and will be given their timetable.
Books and e-books provided through the school at a cost of €200.00 in 1styear, €100 in 2ndYear and €70 in 3rdYear. The payment of €200.00includesthe cost of the School Journaland enrolment in the school’s e-journalsystem which teachers use as a point of contact with classes. Parents can also access this system to check on notices from the school and on homework.
First Years will be allocated a locker for a once off fee of €25.00which will cover them until they leave Elphin Community College in 2024. A key will be provided and if it is lost, the student will have to pay for a replacement lock and key. This system will cut down on the considerable administration associated with the current rental system.
Please ensure that –
Students wear full school uniform i.e.- green uniform jumper, (crest optional cream/white shirt, (school tie is optional), Grey trousers/school skirt,. – Available from Magnet in Carrick-on-Shannon. Black shoes are also required. Note:Black trainers and/or jeans/tracksuit tops/pants are not acceptable as part of the regular uniform.
School tracksuit(o’neills) is available to buy from the school through the way2pay system.
Bottoms €26.50 (10.-11), €32.00 (13-14) €35.00 S/M/L
½ Zip €30.60 (10.-11), €37.00 (13-14) €40.00 S/M/L
T-Shirt €19.35 (10.-11), €24.25 (13-14) €27.00 S/M/L
Alternatively based on Dept. of Education & Skills Circular Letter 0032/2017(to reduce the cost of school uniforms & other costs) the following has been agreed;
Students will wear a plain navy sports top.
Plain navy tracksuit pants
Plain white or navy t-shirt/polo shirt.
This tracksuit may be worn on a Games Day or when it has been agreed by a teacher for an event e.g. trip, sporting event etc.
- Regulations of Tusla are observed i.e. under the Education Welfare Act 2000 if your child is absent from school you must notify the school in writing giving reason for absence (this includes half days or late arrival time). A Late Book and Detention System are in operation.
- For the smooth running of the school and in keeping with our Code of Behaviour, school should be notified in advanced of a planned absence.
- The school day starts at 9.00am and finishes at 4.00pm, Monday to Thursday There are 9 class periods x 40 minutes per day. Breakis from 11.00 -11.15am, Leaving Cert. students only have permissionto leave the school grounds at this time. Lunchis from 1.15 -2.00pm. All students are allowed down town at lunchtime with a note of parental permission given at the start of the year, or they may have their packed lunch in the school. The school day ends at1.15pm everyFriday. (6 class periods)
Please note school policy on mobile phones will be enforced without compromise from the start of the school year. If parents need to contact students urgently during the school day or vice versa, the calls may be made through the school office – 071 9635031
Appointment to meet Teacher or Principal
Please note Parents/Guardians who need to meet with the Principal or with a teacher should contact the school beforehand to make an appointment.
All students must have personal insurance. Please make the appropriate payment on the way2pay system and return application form to the school by Friday 31stAugust 2018.
First Years will have tasters in all subjects in first year, after which they decide on their subject choices for Junior Cert. If required, teachers will be available to discuss this decision with student and parents.
The implementation of the New Junior Cycle continues and this class group will follow the New Junior Cycle curriculum in English, Business Studies, Science, Irish, French and Art. They will also follow the new Wellbeing programme. Information on the New Junior Cycle is available for parents on www.juniorcycle.ie More detailed information on subjects is available on www.jct.ie
Induction Night for Parents of 1stYear Students:
An Induction Session for parents of 1stYear Students is planned for Tuesday 18thSeptember at 7pm. During this session parents will have an opportunity to familiarise themselves with the New Junior Cycle as it impacts on 1stYears. It will also provide an opportunity to provide clarification on issues of importance to students and parents.