Info 1st Year parents iPad 2019 – Printable Version
This will be the eight year of the iPad Initiative in Elphin Community College and we are providing the information and clarification on this programme below. We would ask you to read this carefully and if you have any questions please contact the school and we will endeavour to help you.
- Where can I purchase the iPad
- The iPad with retina display can be purchased in several outlets.
- CompuB computers in Galway are an Apple reseller who we have dealt with in the past and sell at a discounted price.
- Dealing with an Apple Reseller allows the device to be connected to the School MDM an to push out various apps from the school MDM
- Apple iPad 2018/19 Wi-Fi 32GB – €350 RRP – €369
- Apple iPad 2018/19 Wi-Fi 128GB – €440 RRP – €459
iPad Protective Case – We insist that a strong protective case for the iPad be used:
- Shield Xtreme-S iPad 2018 Triple Protection Case – €40
MDM Configuration and Setup – Compulsory
- Setup and Configuration of iPad, put iPads into Shield extreme case. Setup the Moysle Mobile Device Management system – includes remote and on-site support of the iPads from 2019 – 2022 academic years – €39
CompuB Computers Contact Details: Phone: +353 (0)91 75 52 22 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
iPad Initiative 2019
Teaching and Learning is currently going through a major transition phase worldwide where technology is playing a key role in the everyday lives of students and teachers. Ireland is no exception to this transition and here in Elphin Community College we want to ensure we give our students and teachers the opportunity to stay up to date with modern educational teaching and learning styles.
The iPad is quickly proving to be a highly beneficial educational tool. The iPad serves as a powerful research tool, providing access to a world of information via the Internet. The combination of the iPad, interactive whiteboard, the LCD projector, Airserver, provides an integrated, 21st-century suite of instructional tools delivering high-quality video, sound recording and photographic capabilities, thus promoting engaging instruction, differentiated for the needs of each learner. In addition, as textbooks are evolving from the printed page to the digital screen, the iPad provides students more content in their digital textbooks than hard copies do.
In addition to utilising the iPad as a tool to help students master curriculum content, we also see it as instrumental in teaching our students how to navigate the digital world safely. Our students must learn how to create and maintain an appropriate digital identity; understand and evaluate the quality of information they obtain digitally; and communicate successfully and responsibly in a technology-driven world.
Selection of our achievements and vision for ICT
- Consistently integrating and keeping up with ICT educational practices
- The current 1st years have fully integrated the use of ebooks, cloud storage and the various educational apps used in the school day.
- Students are embracing the new technology through presentations, emailing work to teachers, researching material online etc.
- We have massively reduced paper waste by the use of email and our online homework journal (showmyhomework) where resources can be attached. Student homework is also placed on this platform and notifications are available for both student and parent / guardian of the student.
- Students are actively using Microsoft 365 in the classroom, (Powerpoint, Word, OneNote etc.).
- Continuously Improve Teaching and Learning practices.
- With the aid of technology to instill life-long learning skills in our students –self-directed and independent.
- Harnessing technology, students will realise the importance to take responsibility for their learning.
- Using the power of ICT to deliver a more dynamic curriculum in all subjects.
- Departments are creating their own digital content through OneNote / Teams and other educational apps with student input.
Some Common Questions
- Are copy books gone and will writing skills be reduced?
○Certainly not. Students still have to sit the same Junior Certificate exam (with exception to English) so the same writing and reading skills are being enforced in class
- What are we doing about Cyber bullying?
○We are very conscious of this topic and only last year each junior year group received a talk on Cyber Bullying. The staff, the parents committee and school management are all working year round to best control this issue
- If we have an iPad already can we use it?
The current mobile devices acceptable for use under this initiative must have minimum specifications as follows:
Device Type: iPad 2018/19
Display: 9.7‑inch (diagonal)
Capacity: 32GB minimum, 128GB recommended
Network Connection: Wi-Fi enabled without cellular connection. (without 3G)
- We also insist that a strong protective case for the iPad be used:
- Providing a safe and monitored environment is important to us and allowing 3G devices to work outside of our network is something we do not allow. If you intend using your own iPad you must let us know and also agree to install our MDM (mobile device management) software which allows us to monitor your iPad in school.
- Do we require insurance and where should we get it?
Yes, you certainly require insurance. Insurance is now offered through Gadget Insurance but we do encourage families to investigate their own house and home insurance as many now cover devices such as iPads inside and outside of homes. Please check out the excess and also inquire about what is or is not fixed under your policy.
- The school does not accept responsibility for damaged iPads.
This initiative is not just a not just a substitute for heavy textbooks. It will enhance the learning environment at school and at home and transform the way in which students learn.